I would assume that JIRA keeps what ever data has been added into the H2 database even after upgrade, but I would like to confirm this if anyone has done an upgrade does JIRA keep the data in the H2 or does it delete and recreate a new H2 DB?
No, it upgrades the data in the database, as you assume.
I regularly test upgrades with h2, rarely lose anything, (Usually because I'm testing something unrelated to the database of course - you won't be using h2 for production data)
Thanks I have only done 1 upgrade no issues but we manage some other instances and previous creator did not link the instance to a regular DB and after an upgrade somehow now the data is not there
The h2 database is good for a quick start and not having to find a real database to use as storage, but it is known to fail catastrophically without any warning.
If the data is missing after upgrade, my main route of investigation would be "h2 failed during upgrade". I'd be reaching for backups of the pre-upgrade. By default, Atlassian apps do regular backups, usually to <application home>/export, so I'd look there first. (On the other hand, it's a dev/test system, so it might be more useful to look to a backup of production?)
I checked on mine and see a bunch of zip files, and 2 folders snapshots and workflowexports. if any of these could be used to restore the H2 data. I assume I would have to move it to which ever directorate the H2 db uses to store data and unzip correct?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.