When we try to log work in Jira using APIs on behalf of some AD user, does that user need to be part of JIRA? or do they need to be using a Jira license?
Hi Vamshi,
Yes. A user is subjected to the same permissions in the API as they experience in the UI. The user will no be able to access the API without a license. Cheers!
I am only suggesting this from a Cloud JIRA Admin. We use TEMPO. Permissions are flexible and controlled by an Admin.
I've attached an example of how permissions are handled using the TEMPO addin for Cloud only.
Thank you Very much @Joshua Sneed Contegix @Deborah Genevro we're actually planning to integrate Jira with other time tracking application were some of non-Jira users log there hours on Incident which will be integrated to a task on Jira. we're trying to find out if that non-Jira user needs Jira license when we log his/her hours though API?
Thanks again..!
@Vamshi Reddy - to handle incidents/issues from non-jira users, I created a generic user and an email handler that would allow emailed issues into a specific project. I only gave non-jira users view permissions, but obviously you can decide what best suits your needs.
One unsuspected issue I did encounter was that an unauthorized user - "hacker/phisher" started creating issues and tried to view our jira instance. My company and I decided that this posed a security risk, so we removed anonymous users.
In my experience, it is best that any user interacting with your JIRA instance have a user id with specific permissions.
Thank you @Deborah Genevro This helps.
@Vamshi Reddy I'd be interested in learning more about the other time tracking app and api you are planning.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.