Being a newcomer to JIRA service desk, how do I assign a Ticket Category to a 'request', so that I can filter on Service Requests, Incidents, Problems and Changes?
Jira issues all have a "type", which can be used as a structural thing - this means you can do things like have different fields and workflows (processes) for different types of issue.
Jira service desk requests all map on to an issue, so for each customer request, there is a single issue behind it.
Each type of request in a service desk project/portal is mapped to an issue type. A lot of us keep it simple - if we have requests of SR, Incident, Problem and change, we often support them with matching issue types of SR, Incident, Problem and Change. But we don't have to. A lot of service desks will map many request types to one issue type. For example, hardware-laptop, hardware-desktop, hardware-monitor may all map on to the background issue type of hardware (because they all effectively have the same fields and process to go through)
Anyway, all of that "ticket category to request" is done in the project setup.
Hi Tim, welcome to the Community. So let's first settle terminology. With JSD you have Issuetype and Request type (aka Customer request type). Request types are associated with Issuetypes which are associated w/ workflows, etc. Request types are what the Customers see and allow you to build unique forms for ticket creation. When you create a new Request type (project settings > Request types) you associate it to an Issuetype. You may wish to read this article and associated articles. In fact there is some really good 'getting started' docs on Atlassians support site.
Thank you for your detailed reply.The missing link for me is your final comment. "all of that "ticket category to request" is done in the project setup."As I'm setting up new requests after the initial project setup, how do I link these new requests to a ticket category?
Technically, you don't. There's no concept of "ticket category" in Jira Service Desk.
I spoke about issue types as that's my best guess as to what you are thinging being translated into Jira - it's quite likely that your SR, Incidents, Changes and Problems are going to need different fields and processes, so it makes sense to see them as the categories you're looking at.
Thanks for your reply. I'm using next-gen project. It's the Issuetype I'm having trouble associating to a request. When I look at my Service Desk queue, it lists zero incidents, service requests, change, and problems. I'm presuming it's because there are no issuetypes associated with my new request types?
We are actually trying to figure this out, and in our queue we have a filter for project = "IT Service Desk" and "Ticket category" = "Changes".
So, where do I go from here?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.