Hi,
I have many customers that are looking to sum up Story points and other custom number fields from stories to their epics.
Waiting for this feature to be deployed: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-476
The current status is "deployed to cloud" - is it available for use on Jira cloud? what's the chosen code for that?
Thanks,
Elad.
Hi @Elad Ben-Noam ,
Thanks for your message. John from the automation team here.
This new feature has indeed shipped last week. We are just putting a blog together right now to inform customers.
We will also be running through this new feature in a webinar on June 11th: https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/how-to-supercharge-your-automation-in-jira-cloud
Below is the smart value you could use. However, keep in mind that at the moment it will only work for summing up subtasks to the parent rather than stories to the Epic.
Hope that helps but any questions, just let me know.
John
That is great! @John McKiernan when is it planned to add support for summing up values from stories on epic level?
In the meantime, you can see total number of story points on an epic by following these steps:
Glad it solves a problem @Sebastian Nordin !
I haven't got a date for this just yet but will make sure to update this page once that ships
Epic status by Story Points report in Jira that can also be displayed in Confluence
Hi John - Any updates on when JIRA will support summing up values from stories/tasks/sub-tasks on epic level?
This rule works on my case and it may help you.
John McKiernan Can you please confirm the above is the right way to get the total story points on an epic?
This works for me. Thank you.
One question though. How to apply this to more then 1 epic?
The way Carlos has this set up is it works for any epic within the given project you're working with and keys off of as soon as a story point value has been updated that has an epic link.
Well done Carlos, thank you for figuring out this functionality.
removed - posted mistakenly
@Carlos - Thank you for the screenshots, however i get an error when I use the syntax for Epic link. Any thoughts, please.
I don't see this view anymore either
I followed this video and the automation kicked in but for some reason it makes the story points in the Epic 20 points regardless of how many points I put in the tasks. Any ideas?
In the Epic I get 20 points, so I went through the issues and added silly points like 88 and 23 and I get the correct number in the 'estimate' field but not in the Story Point field.
I am just implementing something like this for my client. The original automation outlined by @Carlos Treminio worked perfectly for me!
I added one additional condition though as my client wanted to exclude any issues that are in the "Done" status category. Thought I'd share in case others are interested in the same use case.
In order to achieve this I:
This will monitor the Status of issues and exclude the story points of those issues that are closed.
Hi folks - I implemented Carlos' solution and it works like a charm! Thanks Carlos!
Having said that, I ran into a couple of scenarios where the Story Point totals get misaligned...
In each of the above cases, the Story Point totals do not get updated on the Epic(s).
So, to address these use cases, I created an additional Automation that gets triggered when a Story is updated. It checks to see if the Epic Link was changed, captures the changed To/From values and recalculates the Story Point totals accordingly.
Here are the Automation settings I used...
I hope this helps!!! ...Cheers!
@Guy Anela
Thank you very much for this detailed automation.
One question though: when I create the Branch Rule inside the "If/Then" block, it opens a new nested branch ("For JQL"). Should the following statements be inside that nested branch?
Hi @Didi Goldbart - Yes, that is correct. ...you'll have two separate IF blocks, one for the EpicLinkChangedTo (just as you depicted above), and another for the EpicLinkChangedFrom. Here's a screenshot of the entire Automation Rule...
Also, I ended up adding a 3rd Automation to handle the use case where a child ticket gets Deleted. Here's a screenshot of that Automation Rule as well...
I hope these help. Cheers!
@Guy Anela - This is very helpful, thank you very much (great catch adding the deleted child rule)!
I'm having some issues with the 2nd automation, its seems that an error occurred. I went over the definitions and they seems correct. Do you have any idea how do I inspect those errors? I couldn't find a log or other entry with the error details.
Hi All - In regards to summing up Story Points for an Epic, a few teams just reported to me that the Story Points are being double counted on the Release Burndown Report now (once for the Stories and again for the summed up value on the Epic).
Have any of you come across this? If so, how are you handling it?
Just a heads up, we addressed this by removing the Fix Version values from the Epics. It's not critical for our teams to track the Fix Version at the Epic level as long as its tracked on the child issues (Stories, Bugs, Tasks, etc.).
Once the Fix Version values were removed from the Epics, the Release Burndown Report calculated the Story Points correctly.
@Guy Anela I had a few questions about your If/Then statement. When I attempted the If: matches, do I want to Run actions if... All conditions match or At least one condition matches
And my second question, when I tried to just copy the If: matches {{EpicLinkChangedTo}} to create the If: matches {{EpicLinkChangedFrom}}, the automation created a Else-if: matches instead of just an If: match. I tried editing it and looking for other options for If but didn't see any other options.
Any ideas on what I did incorrectly? Here is the part of the automation.
Here is my complete rule
Hi @Dawn Rodney - In regards to your first question, there's only 1 Condition in that IF block so it shouldn't matter. I would just leave it set to "All conditions match". Now, if you later decide to add additional Conditions, then you would want to choose the appropriate one.
In regards to your second question, I would manually add the IF Condition instead of copying the original one. You would just click on the New Component at this level...
If you still have the Else-if there, you should be able to drag/drop its internal components into the new If. Once you're done moving them, you can delete the Else-if.
I hope this helps.
@Guy Anela Yes, thank you. That was super helpful. I wasn't able to "move" it but I just deleted it and add a new component. It is really odd, that I can't copy it and then edit it. Oh the fun quirks of Jira administration... ;-)
I do have edge case that I am in the process of testing. Wondering if anyone ran into this one too.
If I update the Epic Link field in a ticket (that is currently in an Epic) and just update the field by selecting a new Epic in the drop-down. I DON'T actually clear the Epic Field before adding the additional Epic, it then fails. I assume that Jira does not seem to log that the Epic Field is not empty??? :shrug: Any ideas?
There is a plugin which shows total story points and total time estimate for epic https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1231982/epic-insights-issue-view-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=cloud
JIRA has a template for Parent (FKA Epic) story point updating. You can start with this and make whatever updates you want to it. I found it helpful with the new paradigm where Parent is replacing Epic, Epic Link, and Parent Link. It still needs to be copied and adjusted to handle updating the former Parent when a Parent is changed.
Looks like this is the new paid feature: https://epicsumup.com/
So I've had a version of this automation running for a while now for my teams, however just recently there's been a discovery that it's undercounting story points because we have Epics with >100 child issues...meaning we are hitting that 100 issue query limit in the Lookup component. Does anyone have any ideas on how we might be able to circumvent that issue or how we might be able to calculate differently as a workaround?
Thanks!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.