I was running jira on port 8080 on Ubuntu 18.04.3 (LTS) x64. Everything was working fine but then i wanted to run it on port 80 on Ubuntu 18.04.3 (LTS) x64. I changed the port in server.xml file and restarted jira service but jira is not working when i visit my site url. it shows error "connection refused". Can you guys help me to solve it.
@mdesaiThere could be several reason, one of the reasons is that firewall may be block tcp connection on the port. Check fire wall as it says connection refused
Hello @mdesai ,
Connection refused is either when there is a network level/port level restriction implemented from IT team. I would suggest you to check with your network admin is the port is blocked for any specific reason.
On you can try resting the IP table yourself.
http://insanelabs.net/linux/linux-reset-iptables-firewall-rules/
-Bibek
Hi Bibek, Thanks for quick response. Actually I ran "ufw status" command and it is clearly showing that port 80 is allowed for ipv4 and ipv6 both. In many forums I went through, I found that after doing any changes in server.xml file on ubuntu., you have to restart jira service as root user. At the same time they have mentioned that running any service with root user on ubuntu is not safe. so what should be done in this case. any idea?
I have allowed port 80 using "ufw allow 80" command. after running "ufw status" command I am seeing that port 80 is open for both ipv4 and ipv6
@mdesai All the answers you seek is well explained here.
Changing Jira application TCP ports
You should be Ok if you do it correct and firewall is not blocking anything or Apparmour
I have followed this article only. I manually changed server.xml as given on that article and restarted jira service but it is still not taking port 80 into effect. May be its because of ubuntu, as given on the same article, that in ubuntu in order to bind port 80 you need to restart the service as root. so now question is how can I start my jira service as root? currently I start and stop my jira service using below commands
/etc/init.d/jira start
/etc/init.d/jira stop
is it ok to start and stop jira like that?
Below is screenshot of that line, in that article, which says running jira as root user
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.