Me:
I do not know JavaScript, Groovy, etc. I'm familiar with programming concepts and can read my way through code, but I'm not capable of crafting my own code for what I need to do with Jira. I've read through some related answers but my own needs differ enough and I'm not certain I know how to encode the differences.
My Jira instance and relevant add-ons:
Jira server 7.13.1; Adaptivist ScriptRunner; Automation For Jira
What I'm trying to do:
I'm looking to update two custom date fields (Review Date, Projected Completion Date) of certain issue types (Story, Bug, Defect) whenever the Release Date of the FixVersion changes. The two custom fields (Review Date, Projected Completion Date) should match the Release Date.
Some articles I've found and the issues I've run into:
The two articles below mention having a release date display on the ticket. This was useful, but I was unable to find a way to use this value in Automation For Jira. It's not an option in the GUI and I was only getting "invalid JSON" when I worked in the advanced section.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Display-version-release-date-in-issue/qaq-p/153662]
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Update-Custom-Field-Value-with-Version-Release-Date/qaq-p/624689
The next link was promising in that it updates Due Date with Release Date. However, I'm not certain what I would/wouldn't need to import since I'm using custom date fields. I'm also not certain how to limit by issue type and update with custom fields rather than Due date.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-use-ScriptRunner-to-update-Issue-Due-Date-based-on/qaq-p/1212254
Here's the relevant code from the link above:
issues.each{ issue ->
issue.setDueDate(new java.sql.Timestamp(date.getTime()))
issueManager.updateIssue(appUser, issue, EventDispatchOption.ISSUE_UPDATED, false) This other article shows how to update a custom date field by release date, but I'm not certain when this event occurs or where to include this code. Is this a scripted field? If so, I still don't believe I can use it in Automation for Jira.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Copy-fixversion-release-date-to-custom-date-field/qaq-p/820858
Any advice? Need more information from me that would be helpful?