Seriously Confluence? Copy and paste does not work??? Seriously!!!
Hi Krista,
My apologies for the frustration you're experiencing regarding this. We will require more information, as @Marianne Miller mentioned. I can confirm that copy and paste works as expected in my Confluence installation by default.
There's no reason I can tell why it shouldn't be working. The commands are CTRL+C (Copy) and CTRL+P (Paste) on Windows, and CMD+C/CMD+P if you're on a Mac.
Here are a few things to consider:
Thank you for your help here, and I'm so sorry for the difficulty caused.
Regards,
Shannon
You seem pretty new to Confluence.You lack the most basic knowledge.Is there no training in your company?The Confluence is a really powerful tool and easy-to-use application once you have gotten used to it.However, the same applies here, the error is usually 60 cm in front of the screen.
Sorry you're having so much trouble. Confluence does allow cut and paste, but we need to figure out why it's not working for you. It would be helpful to understand more about what you are trying to do... What are you creating in confluence? What kind of content/page is it?What are you copying from? Are you working in Cloud or server?
If we can look into these details, I'm sure we can work this out.
best,
Marianne Miller
I am working in server.
Don't know what version and now allowed to see with my current rights.
Copy and paste does not work. I have to upload everything as an image and try and insert. I can't even copy and paste images that are on the templates given to us by...Confluence.
Our firm has made the likely grievous decision to build intranet sites in Confluence instead of SharePoint. I have to build quite a complicated parent and child pages and populate with content. The tools I have are clearly insufficient for this job; I am shocked by how little functionality Confluence has versus our standard-issue and pretty creaky version of SharePoint.
But given Repi's snide comments, am sure this is the position Atlassian takes toward its customers (they are stuck with it so what do we at Atlassian care?) and it seems I have to live with it.
Dear Krista, you seem to be confusing something. I am not an Atlassian employee who oversees customers. I am a private user of Confluence, who uses it for private purposes and also pays the license privately. For several years I was an administrator for Confluence in a company environment. Now I'm in the pensioner and use the part privately.But somebody who works with Confluence professionally and has little knowledge and apparently does not get any support from his company, I have not come across my administrator role in all the years.
This is a user community and not Atlassian's support!
Hi @Krista_McGruder
@Marianne Miller started the way I want to - I'm very sorry you're having problems with it. But as she said, we're a bit stuck without more information on what is not working.
I've been writing four Confluence pages today (well, more, but most are child pages), all of which need content that I've copied and pasted from other systems. The stuff from another (older) Confluence was pasted perfectly, the bits from Word and Google docs were mostly ok except where people had used the more obscure formatting options, and the one from the other wiki lost headings and functions (as expected, but it retained the formatting, so going back and applying Confluence headings to it was 10 minutes work). The stuff I needed from Sharepoint, I gave up on, it's more like a care home for retired documents than an active system in my experience.
So our question here sounds simple - what does "does not work" mean? Ok, that's oversimplification, but to help you, we need to know the symptoms, not the generalisation.
An analogy here is medical - a doctor cannot do a lot with "I don't feel well", they need to know symptoms. So do we - could you describe what you are copying, what happens when you paste it into Confluence and what you expected Confluence to do with the pasted data?
The other question is about versions. It's not hugely important, but it would be good to know which range you are in - less than 4.0, 7.0 or higher, or a version between those two points.
Hi @repi - please remember that, as part of the Atlassian Community, you agree to treat others with kindness and respect. The rest of the guidelines can also be found here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/rules-of-engagement.
I'm having the same issue.
Ubuntu 20.04Chrome Version 94.0.4606.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)
It worked well before, I noticed this problem a month ago or something, and it still exists.
Same here with Ubuntu and Chrome. I noticed it also around September and since then.
Having the same issue on Ubuntu 20 + Brave v96 in Confluence and JIRA Cloud platform. The issue is intermittent, and simply restarting the web browser fix it (at least for that session)
@Krista_McGruder& @Shannon S
paste not working seems to be a symptom of the clipboard containing formatted content that Confluence doesn't want to handle.
For example, copy text from an html page with colored formatting (maybe some syntax highlighted source code) and attempt to paste and it will flat out refuse. Paste that same content into a text editor that supports some formatting (i went with TextEdit on the mac) and then copy it from there and try to paste THAT into confluence. That works for me.This is, of course, a terrible solution as it destroys the look of what you were trying to paste, but it at least lets you paste something without having to retype it all.
the real bug here is that confluence [edit: or maybe the browser?] doesn't bother to tell you that it's refusing to paste and no errors are put to the console. Thus it appears to be intentionally refusing to take your clipboard content and not telling you anything about why.
I am currently having a copy/paste issue in a page properties macro. I want to copy text from a table column to a new row in the same column. I place my cursor in the column/row that I want to paste and use command + v (the default shortcut keys for pasting on mac). the text pastes, but not in the location I want. The Confluence system is pasting a new table in the page properties report with a single row and column. The system is not pasting where i want the content to go. This has been a new issue. I first saw it a month or so ago.I can copy/paste in other areas of pages, but I cannot copy/paste in a page properties macro table. In my many years of working with Atlassian products, I've never seen this issue.Playing around with this a bit, pasting only works correctly in my scenario if the whole cell in the page properties table is selected (as indicated by the cell being highlighted in blue). I have no idea how to do this by default, but it appeared to happen automatically after selecting right click paste. The text was still pasted in a new table below, the cell I wanted the text to be pasted in was highlighted in blue. When I selected right click > paste again, the text was pasted correctly.I have not found a way to get pasting to work as I expect it to with simply using shortcut keys cmd + v.
Something that I have found reproducible for me even after refreshing all the pages described below is from a Jira Epic.
I have created multiple child issues from the epic page. I have then opened these new tickets using middle click from the epic page. I am then forced to the new tab even though I middle clicked to open link in a new tab (I was expecting to remain on my epic tab).
I then proceed to write a description which eventually involves coping text from a formatted confluence page or another Jira ticket which is already open in another window or tab. When I paste using CTRL+V on the child ticket page nothing happens. I then refresh this newly open tab which then allows me to paste.
I also have seen this on tabs that have been left open for a a long time. Opened in the morning via Jira email link or Slack Jira plugin link. I initially thought this related to leaving these tabs open overnight which I have "suspended" my computer. A page refresh usually recovers pasting functionality.
As mentioned above after refreshing the epic page and opening a child issue via middle click again I still see the paste functionality not working even if its the first task undertaken.
Is there perhaps a relationship to opening in a new tab
For Reference I am using Ubuntu 20.04, Chrome 105.0.5195.125
select grantor, grantee, table_schema, table_name, privilege_type from information_schema.table_privileges where grantee = 'rds_pgaudit'\;postgres ! rds_pgaudit ! secret ! credit_cards ! INSERT
As you can see that pastes fine into this web site. It will not paste into Jira.
And a new one today. For whatever reason, it will not accept the two = in this string. If I remove one, it's fine. Note that even if I put line feeds in, it still hangs.
UPDATE symptoms SET patient='Dilberto' WHERE patient='Dilbert';
Has anyone else tried to paste either of the above strings? Are you also seeing issues? Just in case this is some dumb site setting that someone has done peculiar to our Jira setup.
I face the same issue Ctrl +V not pasting anything into editing Jira ticket for Chrome & Ubuntu 20.04, this is intermittent.
Solution: update Chrome to new version + restart Chrome. It works.
Isn't chrome autoupdating? I never manually update it
This is still an issue. Using Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS with chrome in incognito
after reloading jira usually it works. But the load speed of jira is tragic. If it at least would reload in a blink of an eye.
This has been a problem for years. It is reproducible. Why hasn't it been fixed? This isn't some piece of unsupported open source. This is commercial software for which we pay money. The message here is that Atlassian doesn't want us as customers, and that we should be looking for alternatives. Maybe some unsupported open source might work better?
I tried that. Plain text from a console. It only worked after I refreshed Jira, and then, I was able to paste text with formatting.
i use greenshot to do some screenshots. and paste it directly to trello. just today, ,6/17/2023, ,it stopped working. also tried windows snippet tool, same issue. copy paste just broken.
Chrome on Linux via Rpm/Deb never auto updates because you're supposed to install the newer rpm/deb via your package manager (which should be notifying you that there's a new version of chrome/firefox/whateverbrowser available to install)
Wow, you nailed the reproduction steps. Respect!
I can confirm:
Result:
Does not work
Recovery steps:
Refresh page
Note:
If in step 4 user will use Ctrl + Left click, issue will NOT occur
Env:
Opera (Chromium engine), Endevour OS
This may be a specific issue rather than a generic one that others are seeing, but since it worked for me, I figured that I'd share it. I was trying to copy a Python terminal session, something like this:
>>> import unittest>>> test = unittest.TestCase()>>> test.assertEqual(e1, e2)>>> e2.posix_timestamp=1.24>>> test.assertEqual(e1, e2)
All that pasting the above text gave me was an introductory quote indicator. The problem is that the text box interprets '>' as the start of a line of a quote, so it was having a hard time with '>>>'. If I changed '>>>' to '>', it copied the text as one large quote, and if I got rid of all '>' characters, it pasted everything as normal text.
Again, it won't solve everyone's problem, but if you're trying to paste a Python terminal session, it might be your issue.
According to previous answers, this is still an issue. We should not have to reloading a page to be able to copy/paste something, please add an higher priority on this.
I cannot paste into a code snippet or into an expand -> Nothing works.
Believe it or not, I am having this issue today: 14.06.2024.
I opened a ticket and I look forward to the explanation.
[deleted] - this i sserver, not cloud
This issue was used to be tracked under https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-81000 which was closed as fixed, but it is not. Leaving link as a reference here, because it contains links to other community discussions, and latest details about the issue.
I see there is no such problem on jira which is on private server, which version is Jira v8.12.2.
Same problem on Windows 10 Vivaldi 7 (Chrome 130).
Neither Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V nor right-click Copy/Paste are doing anything.
I found a work-around for my today's specific case:
- It does not work if I select an existing text and Ctrl+V paste.
- But it does work if I first paste and then I delete the existing text.
How clumsy, still.
(cannot delete comments, LOL, yet another Atlassian oddity)
2025 - and I get cut and paste problem, within the same Confluence page it will not retain formatting. Multiple browsers, no plug-ins.
It used to work, now it does not.
The accepted answer is what? "It works for me, here try a bunch of stuff? TFTFY"
LOL and then this, woohoo
I can't do my job efficiently but 'look boss I got a new badge. I'm winning.'
1 Reply Posted Notification badgeGo ahead and add this to your wins column for the week: You've earned a new badge!We like to think of them as fun pieces of flair for your profile.Learn more about badges
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.