I tried updating our Jira Software Server instance from 8.6.1 to 8.8.0 last night and battled with it for over an hour before reverting the VM back. The user account I was using is a domain admin with admin privileges on the machine. The installer made it past the point of removing old files, but crashed after a failure to create a new file. I was only able to get that far after right clicking the installer and selecting "Run as Administrator" and I still get an error message saying "You do not have administrator rights to this machine and as such, some installation options will not be available." I tried removing the installation on the machine and running the 8.8.0 installer as a new install but it's still giving me constant permissions issues. I can't even unzip the zip file that was created as a backup during the upgrade process.
The only thing that I could possibly come up with is that my domain/server admin account isn't a jira admin. I wouldn't think that would cause issues writing files to a local folder, or unzipping a zip file, but then again this is a Jira installer and we all know how Jira is with permissions.
Any thoughts, suggestions, or complements would be greatly appreciated!