Hi Community!
In majority of our Jira projects our development and QA teams track various bug types in our Jira - issue types are Functional Bug, Localization Bug and Documentation Bug. Loc and Doc bugs are separated mainly because of they are resolved by independent Localization and Documentation teams (regardless which project these bug types are located in).
Btw, all bug issue types have same workflow and more or less same screens and fields. The main goal to distinguish them is just fast visual bug type recognition and assigning them to the right teams to fix.
In other (simplified) projects, teams are satisfied with simple Bug issue type only. These projects are not product related and therefore no localization or official documentation is needed.
There's been recent request to extend the bug type portfolio - Performance Bug and Security Bug (and hopefully not too many other bug types in future). Again, same WFs and almost the same fields/screens.
---
There are two approaches in my mind:
- Add another 2 new issue types (and I will hope that no new bug types will be needed in future).
- Unify Bug issue type usage across the company and start using single Bug issue type with Bug Type custom field.
If I'm on "green field" I would prefer #2. I'm aware of slight field/screen differences but this is something we can handle using ScriptRunner Behaviours or some injected JavaScript on front-end.
With existing Jira instance (with 90k+ of various bug issues) changing the whole concept would be more complicated - updating all JQLs in filters, boards, Jira macros in Confluence pages etc. However, I have several internal tools already prepared that would help to automate all these tasks, so this is not a blocker.
---
I've very interested how other development/QA teams handle various bug types in their environments.
- Do you use a single Bug issue type only? Do you mark various bug types with some label or custom field?
- Or do you have set of separate issue types? How many of them? How are you satisfy with this approach?
- What advantages/drawbacks you see on your setup?
- Is there anything you would change on your current setup today?
Thanks for your comments and thoughts.
Radek