Hi,
I want to achieve, Epics status to be updated as soon as any of their child User Stories gets updated to "In progress" status.
Below plugin installed in our instance.
Hello @Rajiv Ranjan
I have achieved this in one of the instances I manage by simply using the automation plugin, which is now a default (and free) tool since one of the last Jira releases.
What I would do is simply create a new type of event under "events"; then I would associate this event to the transaction "in progress" (in the post-functions, you simply check the last one: on the right there is the option to modify it and set it to another event, in this case the custom one).
(You can reuse this event in any other transaction where you want the same thing to happen.)
Once this is done, I would go back to the project administration under "project automations". Create a new automation triggered by the custom event; then it is possible to add any number of conditions (JQL in this case) ; then you can add an action affecting the parent issue, in our case most probably a transaction.
Automation used to be a third party plugin but from what I know it has now been purchased by Atlassian and it is offered free in the new Jira version.
If you do not want to use automation you can use JSU's post-function "linked transition" - very easy to set up - or Scriptrunner's post-function "script post function" (here the options inside vary a lot depending on which version of scriptrunner you have)
Have fun with it and I wish you good luck with achieving your automation!
Hi Mirco,
I checked and Automation is still not free so I will not go with this option.
Using JSU's post-function "linked transition" I tried with 2 options:
Under Trigger transition on all issues related as options
1. Epic / Issue in Epic -> Transition (Started (51) which was in the workflow.
2. JQL: Type = Epic -> Transition (Started (51)
However, it didn't work. Attached the screenshot. Can you please assist with JSU post function configuration.
Hello Rajiv
Seems like you are targeting the issues in the epic and not the epic itself.
The post function should be pointing in the other direction
Or I would try with this also:
JSU is an excellent plugin but it can be a bit tricky when it comes to troubleshooting
Make sure the user performing the automation has all the rights, and starting and target statuses are linked by the transaction you want to use.
PS: regarding automation: it is free on cloud. On server it is also free, but for now just the lite version (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211836/automation-for-jira-server-lite?hosting=server).
With this version however you should be able to do what I described above
Good luck again!
Let's troubleshoot
possible issues could be
- Was the Workflow republished after your changes?
- The transaction "started (51)" belongs to another workflow (should not be the case, as JSU should only show you transactions that are available in your project) and there is another "started" with different id which should instead be the transition you configure
- The Epic which is the parent of the story in which you are testing this workflow is not in the status "committed"
- the "actor" (user set as performer of this transaction) does not have the correct permissions that allow him to do the transaction
Give a try to these four, and let me know : )
Please see inline comment
Yes, workflow published.
- The transaction "started (51)" belongs to another workflow (should not be the case, as JSU should only show you transactions that are available in your project) and there is another "started" with different id which should instead be the transition you configure.
There is another transition from "Blocked" to transition Started (51)>> IN PROGRESS but with the same ID.
It has "Committed status and transition Started (51)>> IN PROGRESS
Trying it with Jira administrator permission not even project permission.
can you screenshot an overview of how the list of post functions looks like? like the second screenshot you posted up in this thread
Here it is
The configuration really looks correct.. there must be something wrong still though.
Next thing you can check is: does the transition in the epic have a screen? may be with required fields?
And really make sure that the user performing the action has the rights, being admin does not need that the rights are granted.
If also these two hints are not of help I can only recommend to doublecheck that the transition you are firing in the epic is the correct one (Have a look at the workflow of the epic, or check which other options you have when configuring the pf in jsu).
No luck, it's not working. attach the workflow in text formate if you found any clue.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.