Hi wise ones,
We have recently acquired a small company, which uses Jira -- they use the on-demand version, with Service desk and multiple other plugins.
We have a federated hosted Jira -- with an instance for internal users, an instance for external users, and also Confluence. Authentication is handled by crowd.
Our version of Jira is 5.2.6 -- we have a lot of plugins too, and much customization in the way of script runner scripts, velocity templates, etc.
We need to migrate the small company from their on-demand instance into our instanc(s) -- depending on whether the queues they have are internal or external.
I haven't figured out my final migration strategy, but given that we want to provide as much of their original functionality as possible, I envision my migration looking like this:
1. Upgrade our jira instances to more modern version based on compatibility matrix.
2. purchase/install needed plugins.
3. Do all the grunt work necessary for importing projects (custom fields, screens, workflows, etc).
4. Import new users into Crowd ( not sure best approach here).
5. Import projects from data dump
6. manually move attachments to where they should go.
This task frankly scares the bejezus out of us, since their instance is as complex as ours, and differs so much re: plugins, etc. I have seen some commercial plugins mentioned for assisting with this type of migration. Any tips? Any warnings?
Thanks for the advice -- I appreciate it. This community has saved my hide many many times.