(For context: Jira Cloud Standard. Attempt to follow an example where you restrict closing of issues to only a QA user.)
I tried following the steps here to setup a project role called QA:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/managing-project-roles-720412487.html
What I found was that the default out of the box project has no resolution field. The default workflow has no close. I added 'close' to the workflow but, that only updates the 'status' field, not the resolution field. So, I went a step further and added the 'resolution' field to all my screens so I'd have access to it. But, now I cannot create an issue without setting a resolution and the only default resolutions do-not-include 'Unresolved' which is what the ticket would be when it is opened.
Possible solutions:
1: I could add 'Unresolved' to the 'Resolution' field, but then the issue creator would have to have access to update the field and since I am attempting to restrict that to only QA then that seems to not solve the problem. I would have to get QA to create and close all the issues.
2: There must be a way (post function?) to add the field part way through the ticket? No that is madness. Why would you do that?
3. Update the default template and allow the field to be null? This might work I suppose.
Is Atlasssian dropping 'Resolution' for some reason?