Hello,
I am setting up an automated email to the reporter based on an approval through Jira Service Desk Automation.
When the issue is approved, it transitions (lets call it transition X) to a place holder status (status y).
Transition X has two custom post functions:
- Update Any Issue Field (JSU)
- Issue Field: Condition Field - Automation (a custom field)
- Field Value 5
- Follow Up Transition (JSU)
Status Y has a transition back to In Progress called Transition Z.
Transition Z has a condition to trigger the follow up transition:
- Value Field (JSU)
- Condition Field - Automation = 5
- Comparison Type: Number
My Automation rule to trigger the email is as follows:
When: Status Changed
If: "Condition Field - Automation" = "5" AND "Status" = "In Progress"
Then: Send Email & Edit condition field - automation to equal 1.
The automation logs show that the rule is successful, however the test reporter that I set up is not receiving emails from this rule. It is not a case of emails not working from automation: I have two other automated emails (based on a status change and an SLA) that fire correctly every time. I have tried multiple solutions (triggering based on comment, triggering just based on status change, triggering based on different statuses) and nothing has been successful. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips or recommendations? Could this have something to do with the approval step?
UPDATE 1/20/20:
Just to update: I've found a workaround, but it is inelegant.
The approval stage automatically transitions to the placeholder status, Status Y, with the same post condition to change the value field as above in Transition X. Status Y then has a single, manual transition to a "To Do" notification queue, which I'll call Status W. There is a final, manual transition back to In Progress.
When the ticket transitions back to In Progress from a "To Do" queue (i.e. Status W), the above automation rule works every time. I'm going to experiment with changing the placeholder status to a "To Do" type status, to see if that has any effect on the email firing, but I can say with confidence that even with manual transitions, if Status Y is an "In Progress" status, the email to the reporter above will not fire.
If anyone finds a more elegant workaround, please let me know.