I have a PHP project that i am wanting to add CodeSniffer (phpcs) to via a pipeline. I currently have it running unit tests, so I am not worried about getting it working generally. I will have no issues being able to run the code sniffer over all files. However, there are will over 1000 files in the project, so it will take a while to run. I would love to be able to run the sniffer only over those files that were changed in the pull request. Is there a way to do that? I can't seem to locate any information on this.
I have these two git commands that should give me what I am looking for, but haven't determined which is more consistent:
git diff --name-only HEAD...master
and
git --no-pager diff --name-only FETCH_HEAD $(git merge-base FETCH_HEAD master)
Any help on how to get that information inside a pipeline would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.