I'm beginning to wonder if sub-tasks are particularly useful, at least for my case. I have an issue, "New Client Onboarding" that can create a variety of sub-tasks and linked issues depending on which options are chosen. That's working great, as long as there are no problems. But when I start looking at communication between the customer and our service desk, I start to see some problems.
I've done some experiments and it's become apparent to me that comments on sub-tasks and linked issues do not go to the reporter, which makes sense since the customer has no idea that the sub-tasks/linked issues exist. But it also makes it difficult for all the people doing the work to communicate with the reporter if an issue comes up. For example, if the client forgets to add some instruction or a user's email address or puts in the wrong information. As an ok workaround, I think I can figure out how to write a rule that copies all the sub-task comments to the parent issue and one that copies the parent issue's comments to the sub-tasks, but it has the potential to be messy, confusing and share a lot of information that may be unnecessary to some. Kind of like trying to ask one person a question across room full of people. Sure some synergy might happen and get you a better answer, but more often than not it's just going to create a lot of noise and confustion.
Does anyone out there have a better way to allow sub-tasks to communicate with a reporter? Maybe something that would allow for a more one-to-one experience? Or maybe an idea that would at least help group comments together in some way so that it's less a stream of information?