As a JIRA administrator, I have created a custom field of type 'Project Specific Select Field', which allows a project administrator to arrange (order) field values manually. The project administrators no longer want the responsibility of ordering the list, and would now like the list of values to be automatically sorted alphabetically. In other words, the custom field should now have the same behavior as a field of type 'Project Specific Select Field (simple)'.
As an administrator, I know that I can create a new custom field of the desired type, initialize its context with the same options, and then bulk edit all issues to assign the same value in the new field as the current field. But this is very cumbersome when there are a large number of options (one must run a separate JQL and bulk edit for each option that is used by any of the issues). Perhaps there is a scripting solution?
So, aside from the method described above, Is there a way to easily (and safely) 'convert' the custom field from its original type (Project Specific Select Field) to 'Project Specific Select Field (simple)'?