TLDR:
Need to do "something" so that CustomField.updateValue() will write out change logs to the history/activity tabs.
Background:
I have written a groovy framework to handle various post function tasks via a single post function call. e.g.: Instead of several post functions, a single post function.
Most of the "tasks" center around updating / clearing different custom fields. Most of these fields are visible to the user, but are not editable.
IssueService: I originally implemented IssueService to carry out the DB write functions (via validateResults / .isValid() methodology). Unfortunately, IssueService would not always write to the field due to the field not being "editable".
This behavior did not change even when I set the "user" to a service account with global admin privs.
I could not find a way, using Issue Service, to guarantee that a field got updated regardless of field level permissions.
CustomField.updateValue: This works great and puts in the various values regardless of whether the user can "edit" a customField.
Problem: CustomField.updateValue() does not write to the Activity/History logs.
So, I am kind of stuck. I really want to use IssueService as it feels like the correct implementation, but it's not reliable. If I could fix that, great.
Or, I can use the CustomField.updateValue() if I can do something "else" that will force the activity / history log to reflect the changes.
Suggestions welcomed ....
Thanks in advance.