We have a behaviour that restricts the priority field on a project to read-only for all but a few users. The default priority is set to low so all issues should be created with a low priority, except those created by the shortlist of special users who can create issues with different priorities.
However, we have had a few occasions where users who are not on the shortlist have been able to create issues with medium priority. I have not been able to replicate the issue at al, on their accounts or on anyone else's.
My suspicion is that something was different about that issue when it was created which caused jira to ignore the behaviour, but I cannot work out what. The users know not to create issues with priority other than low, so I believe that it wasn't changed intentionally and instead, the issue was defaulted to medium priority rather than low.
This is very important for us because jira is part of our quality control system and is audited as such. This incidents are a breach of requirement and could possibly cause us to fail an audit in future.
Thanks for your help
Matt