We use Jira Service Desk Cloud and I'm still a relative newbie as is the company I work for. Others in the IT department are pretty adamant that we keep the number of projects as small as possible, which to them means basically 2, a client facing external service desk and an internal service desk.
But I'm wondering, is there a best practice for when you should create a new project? I can see why they want to keep the number of projects small. We're a small company and as pretty much the only person dedicated to maintaining Jira, I don't want to have to maintain a bunch of projects. But I can't imagine that putting everything into 1 or 2 projects is a good idea either.
For example, we keep a handful of blank drives that we use to ship out client data if they request it. I've been tasked with making sure we have a certain number on hand as well as knowing where they are (in storage, being used or shipped out). According to my research, I can definitely use JSD to handle this, I'm just not sure if I should absorb this into the current internal service desk project or create a new project for this