I am trying to make a custom field read only - I only want to it to be editable by a single user (a service account) or through a script.
From reading older posts on this, older versions of Jira had separate screens for edit and view so you could have added to view and not edit but this is no longer the case (View/edit are combined)
I added an advanced field of type "Text Field (read only)" but this has had no bearing, all users can still update the field
As a bit of a background, we are integrating our Jira Service Desk with a suppliers service desk system. Once an incident exchange has taken place, our service account / script will automatically add the suppliers incident reference to 'supplier incident reference' custom field. This is why we do not want users to be able to edit this field.