There are a host of plugins for test management. I reviewed five of these. My results are below. It has been challenging getting accurate data. Much of the info out there appears to be created by the vendor's marketing teams.
Let me know if you disagree with anything here or if there are key criteria that is omitted. If all five plugins had the same feature or functionality, I did not include it in my list. You will just see the deltas. Below the table I explain my method for putting this together.
My method:
I did review the websites of the companies to see what they were saying about each other. This was the data I put the least weight in. As time went by, there are several areas where this is incorrect. For example, Xray says Zephyr does not support BDD. Well... Smartbear (Zephyr) purchased Cucumber.
Keep in mind, we already license Xray & Quality Center, I just wanted to determine if there were better options available. QC and qTest are stand alone solutions. The ones above are lighter weight, and integrate directly to Jira.
Then I reviewed all the comments on the marketplace to see where users were specifically unhappy with aspects of the tool. From this collection I researched these specifics on the web and in release notes to see if these items were resolved or if they persist.
Then I posted an initial version of this image to see if vendors would correct me or members of the community for that matter. Sure enough, they did. I made updates, and that is what you are seeing above. The only Yes across the board, is the REST API. Zephyr was a 'no' for this, but I was informed they created the Zephyr REST API (ZAPI).
Realize that the number of installs and comments changes. It is current as of the time of this post. If you want to see which products are increasing or declining, tracking this rate over time should provide some insights.
These were some of my conclusions:
- Zephyr – Easy to implement, but limited customization possibilities. Poor customer service. Customizable. Popular. Smartbear product. Extensive REST API.
- TM4J (Adaptavist) – very positive support. Use of REST API to import automated test results. Easy to import test cases.
- TestFLO – Automation plugin at additional cost. Most configurable choice, however then you are locked into those choices. (i.e. Handpicking manually some 50-70 templates out of the pool of 3000 is just not realistic.) Change is challenging. Limited JQL features.
- Qmetry – Better for manual tests. Good at reuse of test cases. Variety of reports. Firefox issues reported.
- Xray – If you have custom workflows, this is the best choice. Reporting could be improved. Also, would like to be able to bulk export test cases with steps without having to purchase Xporter. Overall, this is my recommendation if I was spending my own money. Recommend using a blend of tests that are in there own Jira project (Regression) and inside existing projects (Functional). I like the ability to import bugs and test cases.
Please share your experiences and I invite you to correct anything I got wrong. Hope this helps the community, especially those who are serious about testing and quality!