Anyone setup https for Jira and ran into any issues? After reading about Jira Collaborative editing not working with Apache SSL, I was wondering if there was any unforeseen errors I can expect.
I'm running Jira Software on top on Windows 2016.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/confluence-collaborative-editing-does-not-work-with-ssl-and-apache-2-4-9-or-earlier-872132268.html
Hi @Tripline
Yes... it will work and take far less time than trying to figure out the ins/outs/wherefores of doing it even on a supported version of Apache. Here's the config I used for Confluence successfully:
server {server_name .confluence.company.com;listen 80;location / {return 301 https://$server_name$request_uri; }}server {listen 443 ssl;server_name .confluence.company.com;ssl_certificate /etc/nginx/certs/confluence-chained.crt;ssl_certificate_key /etc/nginx/certs/confluence.key;ssl_session_timeout 5m;ssl_protocols SSLv2 SSLv3 TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;ssl_ciphers HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5;ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;location /{client_max_body_size 0;proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Host $host;proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Server $host;proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;proxy_pass http://localhost:8090/;}location /synchrony {proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Host $host;proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Server $host;proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;proxy_pass http://localhost:8091/synchrony;proxy_http_version 1.1;proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;proxy_set_header Connection "Upgrade";}}
Note that I used the vernacular ".confluence.company.com" with the leading dot. I have wildcard certs and this allows me to use the same NGINX config for both "https://confluence.company.com" and "https://test.confluence.company.com" for example.
Well,
you're writing about Jira and not Confluence, so the linked article is not relevant for you. Anyway, Confluence runs like a charm behind an Apache HTTPD 2.4.9+ (This version was released 2014...)
I can only comment from the Apache HTTPD side, but I assume as long as you know what you're doing with ngnix, there shouldn't be any issues on the Jira side.
You terminate the SSL at the nginx server & forward all requests to Jira. Ngnix is a pure reverse proxy. We use Windows 2012 R2 as platform. You should be fine.
Did you check:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/integrating-jira-with-nginx-426115340.html
Best
JP
I'm wondering, if this configuration supports Synchrony via ws (websocket) protocol as I don't know if this is supported by ngnix native.
You're doing a proxy_pass to http:. Did you ever try ws: ?
Short answer, @JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_ , is that no, I didn't. I cobbled this together out of several "half answers" that did some but not all and some I transposed from what ostensibly worked with Apache.
Basically, after struggling to make Apache work for a day and a half, I gave up and had the NGINX config above working in a couple of hours.
All that said, when I RTF the Ms on this, it seems that yes, ws will work as evidenced by this page. Interestingly enough, I don't recall seeing the ws stuff when I put that together and, for me, is a moot point now given that I have my instances containerized on AWS and now behind an ALB rather than NGINX (which also works just wonderfully and all sorts of native instrumentation I can get as well)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.