I have an older Windows 2008 server running Jira 6.4 using an even older Server 2003/SQL 2005 database server (*see notes at bottom before commenting on server 2003). For obvious reasons, we need this all moved to newer servers and SQL. I will be moving the application to a 2012 R2 box with the latest 8.2.4 release and planned on restoring the database backup file to a SQL 2014 Database Server. What is going to be the best order for doing this? I figured I would do:
1. Copy Jira_Home and Install folders to new server, delete dbconfig.xml
2. Restore .bak file from 2005 server to 2014 server. Create Jira_user login and assign dbo role to Jira_db
3. Run latest Jira-core-8.2.4-x64 windows installer and point to the copied install folder and jira_home folder.
4. Run Jira setup wizard to connect to database.
However, we do use Active Directory authentication so didn't know if there were any other config xml files to mess with.
Also, wasn't 100% sure if I should copy the existing 6.4 install folder and let the 8.2.4 overwrite/update it OR don't copy the install folder and let the installer create a clean install.
Any thoughts (and prayers) are appreciated! Thanks.
* Yes, you read that correctly, Server 2003. Yes, I know. Yea, I said the same thing to my higher ups. I know but what could I do? They said "it ain't broke so don't fix it". Thank fully the BlueKeep exploit finally scared them into action...but of course now they want it done last week. Thanks again for the help and understanding. 