I'm not sure what is going on with the new detail view. Upon doing some research it looks like the ability to view issues as a dialog pop-up was part of the new issue detail. This seems to now be changed so that by default issues appear as a sidebar when viewing a board.
I am looking to have selected issues from my backlog open as a dialog box. This doesn't seem to be possible the way my project is currently configured. Is there a way to turn this on?
It would be great if there was a button on the issue dropdown to open as a dialog window. Which existed at one time and now for some reason doesn't.

"Open issues in dialog"
For example, this feature in the screenshot no longer exists or I lack the permission:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-I-turn-off-issue-detail-popups-on-JIRA-boards/qaq-p/663559
I am a site admin with full permissions so I am not sure why it is not appearing.
Anyone experiencing similar problems or know a fix? Thanks