Basically I work in 2 worlds - traditional PM with waterfall / Systems engineering (think MS project & GANTT charts). I also work in software where we need to have the flexibility of Kanban / Agile for revising development schedules / sprints to meet changing customer wants. Essentially I'm trying to manage chaos.
I am "playing" with jira and trying to create a project. The project is part software and part hardware. I need the ability to estimate how long the tasks will take by doing a bottom up estimation of a series of subtasks, each of which are less than 8 hours effort. Part of this is for budget and schedule purposes. I see that I can do this with the Project Management scheme / template. I also want to be able to manage the work using a Kanban board. I can create a Scrum or Kanban type project which gives me the Kanban board and scheduling flexibility, but I can't figure out how to do rollup / estimation like with a project. I can use story points with Scrum, but I also haven't been able to figure how to roll those up for a story to estimate how much I can do in a sprint. I don't have the option of just doing Scrum/Agile because I'm part of larger projects. I need to provide schedule and budget estimates to work with the hardware schedule and keep the Program Managers and Customers happy. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?