Hello,
My team and I are estimating our work based on Sub-Tasks.
I expected that when I look at the original estimates within the backlog, I'd be able to see at a high level, the rolled-up values.
Am I doing something wrong, or is this expected?
Hello Calum,
I understand that you are expecting the estimation of your sub-tasks to be summed-up to their respective parent stories, is it correct?
Unfortunately, this functionality is not implemented on JIRA Software boards, however, we have a feature request opened to implement it:
- Sum estimates from sub-tasks in user stories
Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.
For now, we recommend you to manually add the estimation directly in the parent issues.
Let us know if you still have any questions about it.
I've never ever thought Jira missing this basic functionality.
Not only rolling up estimate story but also status!
Luckily I am in an evaluation period and easy opt-out this BS situation. LoL
@Petter Gonçalves
You recommend to manually add the estimation directly in the parent issues.
By doing so the burndown chart doesn't seem to be correct... It takes both the Story estimation and the subtask estimation into account, so remaining time estimate doubles (which isn't correct).
I want to have the same estimation when looking at the sprint in the backlog view as from the board and burndown chart. Any specific settings for that?
Hello @carina.norelid
Thank you for reaching out and welcome to Atlassian Community.
About this behavior:
That's not the behavior that should be happening for you unless you are using a third-party app to add such estimation. As you can see in the feature request below, the Burndown chart does not take into consideration the sub-task estimation:
- Burndown chart doesn't take under consideration the sub-tasks estimation
Can you please confirm if you are using Jira Classic or Next-gen and provide us with some screenshot displaying the incoherence you are facing?
@Petter Gonçalves We use Jira Classic. I add some screenshots for you to see
I must say I agree with @송영수 . This is a basic functionality...
@Petter Gonçalves this is happening on our classic projects as well. Ridiculous, manual update of original estimate at on story updates the time tracking, and then it can't be corrected. So now my estimates for tickets are twice what they should be and there is no clear way to fix it.
Just coming across this same issue now and am quite amazed that the functionality is not there to sum the sub-task estimates. Even more stunned when I clicked through to the link Petter shared above to find that it was closed and nothing is going to be done to address this. Or is there another more recent ticket I can vote on and follow?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.