Upgraded to Jira 8 from v7. Purchased Jira Software starter licence. Core is already on v8 and licensed OK. I'm not able to apply the software licence; it fails with error saying 'check the logs'. Helpful, doesn't say which logs - and no output seems to be written to /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/catalina.out (or any other file in that directory).
I'm notified in the UI that I need to upgrade the Atlassian Universal Plugin manager - but that fails too, with similar check logs error.
Attempts to upgrade other plugins that are out of support also fail in a similar way.
Assuming the upgrade process has somehow applied incorrect perms, I checked that out - interestingly upgrade was done as root, whilst process runs as another user, but /var/atlassian/jira was majority owned by root and the same true for /opt/atlassian/jira. Reverted ownership to my jira user, restarted. No change. Perhaps I've missed another directory the upgrade touches?
All jira integrity checks pass.
I'm running behind an nginx proxy, and had no problems with licences or application install/upgrade on v7.
Rant: It had passed me by that Atlassian no longer offer direct support for startup licences, or I would have never done this. Not once have I managed a successful, pain free upgrade.