When I try and close a sprint some people have marked tasks as closed. This stops me finshing the sprint unless I move all the tasks to resolved.
I don't care if tasks are closed or resolved. How can I force the sprint to end?
This is described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Ending+a+Sprint
Any issues not completed at the end of the sprint will be moved to the next planned sprint, as they did not meet the team's definition of "Done". If you do not have a next planned sprint, they will be returned to the backlog and will be visible in the Backlog of the board.If you have parent issues that are not 'Done' but have sub-tasks that are all 'Done', the parent issues will still be moved to the next sprint/backlog. If these parent issues are part of another active sprint, the previously completed sub-tasks will still be 'Done'.
Any issues not completed at the end of the sprint will be moved to the next planned sprint, as they did not meet the team's definition of "Done". If you do not have a next planned sprint, they will be returned to the backlog and will be visible in the Backlog of the board.
Sorry nope. The parent is resolved (ie done and should not be moved to the next sprint) just it has some subtasks that are marked "Closed" so jira throws a fit. I suppose jira is not recognising that Resolved and Closed are 'done'. How do I tell jira that resolved and closed are both 'done'
You have to check out your workflow; Resolved != Closed by Jira default settings. This is the standard comment for Jira's resolved: "A resolution has been taken, and it is awaiting verification by reporter. From here issues are either reopened, or are closed." Change the workflow to suit your need, or have the team explicitly set the issues to closed when you're first at it.
But the problem is when things are marked as closed jira won't let the sprint complete... You are suggesting something has got misaligned from default jira install? We have done very little customisation
Hi AW,
I had exactly the same problem. If you haven't already found the solution, take a look at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/9867148/jira-wants-to-move-completed-stories-to-the-backlog-upon-sprint-completion.
Simple solution in the end (but oh so infuriating to track down)
Not sure I agree with this Jira functionality.
We manage common sprints across over 40 teams. So we have a special board we use to stop and start sprints.
The lifecycle of a Story for example will go through pre-sprint, sprint, and post-sprint to get into production. E.g. from an idea, to getting ready, to being ready (for sprint), in progress, Ready for UAT (let's say this is Sprint Done), and then some post-sprint steps before going into Prod.
There can be sub-tasks for some pre-sprint work, such as analysis/design, then some sub-tasks for sprint work (dev type sub-tasks, test type sub-tasks), and then a number of post-sprint sub-tasks.
So I should be able to close the sprint, with some Stories in "Ready for UAT" (last column, a sprint done status), and for it to still have some sub-tasks to be done after the sprint.
But if my sub-tasks have a "todo", "in progress", "done" status for example, and the Stories also use the "in progress" status, then I can't map that status to the last column, or else these stories will be considered done and won't get carried over to the next sprint. But as I understand it, the only way Jira will let me close the sprint is if all the statuses of sub-tasks are mapped to the last column (or at least the statuses any of the "Done-status" stories's sub-tasks).
The only "hack" around this I can see is to have a special set of sub-tasks statuses (e.g. sub-task-todo, sub-task-in-progress, sub-task-done) and, on our special sprint-stop-start board, have all those statuses mapped to the last column.
This will be a pain to implement as currently our sub-tasks have common statuses as several of our issue types.
I'd just prefer it let us close a sprint regardless of the sub-tasks' statuses (as some of the sub-tasks are often about post-sprint activities).
That make sense?
Anyone agree?
No, that defeats the whole purpose of sprints with subtasks.
The point of a sprint is you commit to doing a set of stories. If you break up a story into sub-tasks to help you manage it, allocate different bits out, differentiate between types of work, or teams, and so-on, that's fine. But a story, by definition, cannot be complete until all of it is done.
In a sprint, there is no try, no partially complete, there is "done" or "not done". If your sub-tasks are not all complete, then the story can't be.
If you have a need to carry sub-tasks over into the next sprint, then they are not sub-tasks (and you should not have said you would do them in this sprint).
As far as I know you can't exclude a sub-task from a sprint, so I find Mr. Smiths position legit.
That's correct, a sub-task is part of a story and hence goes into a sprint with its story. A story, logically, cannot be complete if it has open sub-tasks. So, it's nonsense to have open sub-tasks on a complete story.
If you do find yourself wanting to do this, then either move off Scrum (because you're not doing Scrum), or accept that you're breaking up stories incorrectly, and move the sub-tasks to the right place (or create them initially in the right place)
I found out that, you can complete sprint from "Active sprint" section
select desired sprint and in top right corner is button complete sprint
Another question si why it can not be done this form backlog view
I agree - this should be possible from the backlog view, I've been battling with this for ages!
Thanks for the (unfortunately necessary!! tip)
"an issue is done when it is in the far right-hand column of the board"
- as per above suggetion by nic brough; Moving to last column of the board solved my problem of Sprint not getting closed. Do take a note that if you have multiple projects (such as separate project for Bugs, Test Cases etc) pointing to same sprint then you must Close/Done all the issues related to that sprint before you complete the Sprint.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.