My team just migrated from a self-hosted bitbucket server to bitbucket cloud - although there are a couple of nice features in the cloud version, overall we feel like this was a big step down. In no particular order:
1. We can't "like" comments on pull requests
2. On the branches page, we can't select a base branch - the base branch is always the main branch defined in settings. This makes it so we can't easily see the # of commits behind/ahead branches are in relation to each other, and creating a PR to a branch different from the main branch requires some extra steps.
3. This one is more personal preference - the single-page PR review process feels very crowded - I liked being able to view just one file at a time, and I could see in the sidebar which files I had reviewed and which I hadn't.
4. Performance - we were hosting bitbucket on an older server that had lots of other things running, but it was still significantly faster to move around in than bitbucket cloud.
5. In bitbucket server I could define default reviewers on a branch-by-branch basis, now it seems like they are global for the repository and you have to edit them on each pull request.
6. In bitbucket server I could organize repos by projects - front end, back end, utilities, etc. I don't see any way to do that in bitbucket cloud.
As we're deciding whether to go back to self-hosted, stick with cloud, or try a different provider, are there configuration options or workarounds for any of these? We were expecting bitbucket cloud to be a net feature upgrade from server, and we are hoping that at least some of these are just user error.
Also, if we were to go back to self-hosting bitbucket, would it eventually catch up to bitbucket cloud and we would lose these features anyway, or are they on two separate development paths?