Does anyone have an opinion on creating user stories with dependency-linked sub-tasks and assigned to different team members i.e. UI Designers, Engineers, Creatives? We currently do this way and it is causing several issues and I can't find a good solution...
For example, let's pretend I'm building a house and I have a user story that reads: "As the homeowner[user], I want a deck off the backporch[need] so I can grill outside[benefit]"
And that Story includes the following sub-tasks:
1. Design the deck (assigned to architect)
2. Choose the correct wood stain (assigned to the painter)
3. Build the deck (assigned to the general contractor)
In this example, it is likely that subtask #1 (design the deck) would happen in Sprint #1 while subtasks #2 and #3 would come in later sprints. The assumption being that subtasks #2 & #3 are dependent on subtask #1 because the painter would need to know where the deck will be (shade or sun), how big it is, etc. before deciding on the correct wood stain.... just like the general contractor needs to know the design of the deck before he builds it...
If we were to move our example story to Sprint #1, the GreenHopper Board would not reflect reality. Only subtask #1 will be worked on during sprint #1.... GreenHopper doesn't allow you to move story subtasks into sprints independently of the parent story, we would then have two subtasks that are not actually 'in progress'..
Not sure if that makes any sense but that is the challenge I am currently facing...
Thanks in advance for any feedback/questions/comments!
Sean