I work for a government organization. Our current "project" is a multi-year, cross-functional effort to fundamentally change how our organization works, including test pilots, documentation creation, and other tasking along the way. The output will be a new infrastructure, architecture, policies, strategy guidance for future evolution, and training (at a minimum).
Using Jira to manage our non-collocated team seems to make sense and we have a 3 week sprint drumbeat we're working towards.
If the major work (infrastructure, architecture, policies, strategy, and training for instance) are epics that are broken down into the various pilots, documentation, communication development, education development, etc. as stories, then I'm left with tasks or issues within the stories that need to be broken down into sub-tasks and possibly even a level lower for things that can be accomplished within a sprint.
How to do this and have tasks that are able to be story-pointed and closed each sprint while tracked on the kanban board for in progress / done reporting to stakeholders?
I understand the Scrum methodology, but applying it to this is challenging.