Important details:
Multiple projects using JIRA Service Desk. Our instance is Cloud not Server.
As the IT Manager, I add all new employees as portal customers using the IT JSD project
All projects are secured to only allow customers on our site to access. We are a medical company and must be secure to prevent patient data loss.
A new project will actually have a need to allow non-employees (individuals who have not had and will not have a portal customer account created) to open tickets.
Current global customer permission settings do not allow customers to create their own account.
In order to allow non-employees to open tickets for this new project, it is my understanding that I have to allow customers to create their own requests. When I do this, the project customer permission setting for "Anyone with an account on https://....atlassian.net" goes away. My only security option is "Customers my team adds to the project".
Based on the wording of this, I did a test. I added a customer account to the IT project as I always do. I then tried to login to the portal for our HR department. I had no access. Therefore it seems that my portal customers (98% of my company) would only be able to open tickets in the IT portal if I setup one project to allow non-employees to open a ticket.
Please tell me I'm missing something because that sounds like a horrible approach. Thank you in advance.