We have a situation where the number of characters in the comment field could be in the range of 800,000 to 1,000,000 + and I am wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of the likely performance impact this might have in the long term?
Hello John,
You do run the risk of timing out the page load request while viewing the issues or even hitting an an Out Of Memory Error (OOME) attempting to load an issue with too much data in a text field as described here:
If you are regularly loading large comments most likely by some automated process, it would be recommended to attach the data as a .txt file rather than directly in a field.
Regards,Earl
Thanks, it is an automated process raising issues and we are looking to address this at the source as comments of that size are really not that helpful. I just wanted to better understand the potential impact while we resolve this issue.
Hi John,
I'm happy I could assist, and this KB might help as well with a brief breakdown on adding attachments via API that you could incorporate into your solution:
Hi @Earl McCutcheon
We are running Jira 8.3 atm, and our char limit is set to 90,000. Do you know the safe maximum amount limit of char we can set it as?Best Regards,David
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.