We have many groups on our organization in that groups that will show only user names. i want view the email id's of that user for removal of user relieving time.
Hi Saravanan,
You won't be able to see the email address of the users. You can only see their name and username. This can be found on the link https://bitbucket.org/account/user/<username>/plan-users/ (make sure to replace <username> with your actual username).
Hope that helps!
Ana
Thanks for the reply. when user getting relieving we need to remove them accordingly. some time same name will be there we cannot identify with the user name.
This is crazy - being part of admin group in Jira&Confluence, you can really manage users, you can see the username and email. Jumping into bitbucket, you have to guess which email is behind the user, as you'll see only the same name and duplicated entries.
Such usability, as removing all the user's entries and and adding the "valid" email back, seeing in paid, "professional" product for the first time.
Yes, I am surprised by the answer. I have 20-30 mistery users and I can't get their email address via admin ui/portal/or API?
Agreed. What is the reason for this choice?
It seems Atlassian's interpretation of GDPR is that users of their services are able to maintain complete anonymity via any services that may interact with their API's; whether that's BitBucket, JIRA, or Admin API endpoints. Their position seems to be that names and email addresses are off-limits.
What is interesting is that they still have documented API's all over the place that claim to return user information, such as from here and that would require an Admin API key that expires, but it'll return an empty array. So Atlassian has chosen to give its customers the advice that they should export a list of all of their user data, instead of using secure API's, because then it's your problem and not theirs. A pretty bizarre scenario.
I have discovered a bit of a bug on their end that will expose email addresses on occasion for specific staff who create and review PR's. You have to use this API and iterate over author.raw to get email addresses from this endpoint: https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/{workspace}/{repo}/refs/branches (see documentation here)
Oh oh @Ryan Hilliker - you're about to get permabanned. ;p
Adding my voice to the above. This is a ridiculous configuration. Carrying out an audit where we have developers from different suppliers and knowing who is with which so we can terminate access when we end a relationship is essential. This cannot be done with username alone !
Still no good solutions for this, lol. But I've found a dirty workaround to this. Simply use the internal bitbucket site api, since it shares the same bearer token auth method:
https://bitbucket.org/api/internal/workspaces/<YOUR_WORKSPACE>/groups/<GROUP_SLUG>/members
It's a paginated response, so You'll have to handle that. You can also add a query param "fields" to fetch only specifics fields, such as our precious email there
The member will be in the format below:
This is not the best, You know. But we work with what We have
I had this same issue because the 'User directory' now also contains the "Users on plan" I could previously figure out who's who by going to the latter.The only way I have found to figure this out now is to add the users to a group and then going to the "User groups" view and looking up the group. Emails are shown there along with the user's name.
I was able to get the emails by going to https://bitbucket.org/{username}/workspace/settings/user-directory and clicking the export button. This downloads a csv with the email addresses.
This talks about how the security is manage inside the company
Thank you for this, it's ridiculous that this actually works and it feels more like a bug than a feature but it does at least solve the problem.
Hey, thank you so much for sharing this. I have been googling like mad and even reached out to Bitbucket support, and this is the only concretely useful answer/solution I have gotten so far. I hope that they eventually add this functionality in an official capacity to the BitBucket Cloud API.
Again, really appreciate you posting this. You just saved the workflow I'm building.
In 2026, it's insane this hasn't been fixed, let alone addressed by Atlassian.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.