I'm currently on a small software team consisting of 20ish users and a couple service accounts. We are using Azure DevOps for our Git repositories. In Azure DevOps, we are set up as an "organization". Within this organization are all of our repos (labelled as "projects" in Azure DevOps). Members of the organization can be assigned access to these repos. It's pretty straightforward and has been working well. The URL for the repo includes our organization name.
I am looking to move our code base to Bitbucket Cloud as we recently made the move to Jira Software/Service Desk Cloud. On-prem would be later down the road. However, I am little confused on the hierarchy/organization of people and repos in Bitbucket.
-I have signed up for a free account, and have linked my Jira Software instance.
-In BB, when I create a repo, it is under a URL that contains my user name (https://bitbucket.org/[userName]/[repoName]/src/master/). I don't want this to contain my user name.
-I set up a team, and can create the repo under the team, which gives me a more sensible URL as it contains the team (comparable to the "organization" in Azure DevOps).
-When creating a repo under a team, it requires me to select a Project. I'm not sure what a Project is in BB, and don't intend to use these, as it's just another layer of confusion for the team. These Projects in BB don't seem to at all match up with Projects in Jira Software, and I don't understand their purpose. So, I don't want to select a Project here, but it's required. Why is this required and what benefits are there to having a project in BB?
Do I just create a dummy project and have the team ignore that it exists so that I can add them all to a BB team and avoid having all the repos under my account? Or do I just get a service account of sorts to create the repos under without using the BB team functionality?