Hi -
I'd like to build a project for an embedded system which uses a headless Eclipse-based build. No, I can't get away with not using Eclipse, I'm actually using Atollic TrueStudio to build for an STM32 part.
I'm not too far down the road, and my first thought was, well build a docker image with the tool installed, push it up to docker hub, and use that in your pipelines. However, after putting the tool into the docker image, the size is pretty big (like 800MB), and thats after I've removed a bunch tools which aren't required.
That gave me second thoughts, and as I was reading, I saw pipelines have caching. So I guess my question is - could I unzip the tool (from the downloads section of a repo?) in the pipeline, cache it, and then use it in subsequent builds? That way, I can just use a really small vanilla Ubuntu 18.04 docker image?
The worry, of course, is build minutes. I have no idea, but I assume pullling nearly a gig each time that pipeline runs is time consuming.
Thoughts?