In the new cloud Confluence UI like 50% of the page appears to be white and margins seem fixed. See attached-- any idea if I can adjust the width to use up more of the page?
Update:
Recently a new Blogpost about some features on the editor came out. Go check it out!
The new editing experience: we're listening
Hello there Ian! Thanks for sharing with the Community.
This new look is part of the new Confluence Cloud editor. You should be able to select the legacy editor template if you need to use it. However, keep in mind that eventually all content will be migrated to the new editor. The plans are to have 90% of customers with the new editor by April. You can check new information about this here:
A simpler editing experience in Confluence Cloud is here!
Confluence Editing Improvements
A New Year will bring a new Confluence Cloud editor
Let us know!
Agree the margins are too wide on the new editor. It results in horizontal scroll bars for tables, etc which is a usability issue. Is there a bug/fix jira ticket for this?
Hi @Peter Davis !
We do have a new suggestion about it here:
CONFCLOUD-65654 | Choose Between Editor View Style
Currently, the best course would be to vote and watch the report. Voting increases the visibility and watching keeps you up to date with everything there.
90% by April.. that's going to be a whole lot of cancellations.
Personally, I hate the full-width pages. It makes writing so ugly; I have to size my browser window to half-screen-width to make it tolerable. I'd love to see fixed-width the default (because end-user experience is more important than doing things the way they've always been done) but I think a compromise by allowing the full-width pages needs to be in place for backward-compatibility.
(edited) There are situations where having a fixed width would be appropriate, especially when there is not much text on the page. However, very wide margins can compromise the end user experience by making more scrolling necessary.
I apologize; I did not intend it as an insult, and I've changed my wording.
I think that having a fixed width or fixed-max-width is especially important for documents that are text-heavy. A common design philosophy is that lines that are too long to read across the screen are fatiguing and difficult to read. Even these forums have a fixed-width presentation to keep the reader from needing to scan too far across the screen.
I do agree that a margin should not be allowed to be wider than the screen and that a maximum cap should be set as well. Horizontal scrolling is generally a terrible user experience.
Perhaps instead of a fixed width, simply implementing a max-width would be better?
I guess I must be using the new UI for the first time. So the layout in my screenshot is the new normal and the left margin/fixed body width cannot be adjusted? I'm very surprised, it doesn't look right to me at all. It seems especially bad when I insert a Jira table because such tables don't appear to use the same layout. Please let me know there's some way to change the layout. Thanks!
Oh, I see the we're listening blog post mentioned above describes a "full width mode" option that is yet to be implemented. That sounds good, looking forward to it. Also, looks like issue CONFCLOUD-65654 is related to this.
Hey there Scott!
You are correct. The report you linked is indeed related to this request. Also, thanks for pointing out our most recent update at The new editing experience: we're listening!
Has this been implemented?
@Ian White They implemented width options a while back. See the screenshot:
Pages that predate the new features will need to be converted. When you edit older pages, it should give you an option to convert them. See the screenshot:
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.