I would like to deny the right to reopen a ticket if it was in the DONE status for more than 6 weeks

Dan Macarie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 15, 2024

Hi there, 

I hope someone can help me on this one. I tried pretty much everything but i can't make it to work.

I have a board with statuses like: Open, In progress, Waiting for customer, Done. Because of the nature of the work, we still allow the reporters to reopen tickets, but if the time since moving it to DONE exceeds say 6 weeks, i would like to not allow reopening those tickets. 

My workflow is very basic, i pretty much allow free movement between statuses. 

What i tried:
Created a new transition from DONE to OPEN and tried to add a condition / validator, but i can't fine one that suits my use case. 

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2024

Hello @Dan Macarie 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Are you working with a workflow in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

I don't think there is a native Condition or Validator that will meet your requirement. It could be done with a third party app. Are you willing to consider a third party app?

If not, then you would need to create a customization to achieve your goal.

The date an issue is transitioned to each specific status is not recorded in fields you can access. You could either use a custom field to record the date an issue transitions to the Done status, setting that field using an Automation Rule, or you could reference the date the Resolution field was set, which is recorded in the Resolved field.

In your workflow transition you could then use the Date Compare Validator on the transition to confirm that date field value is less than 6 weeks in the past.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 9.10.22 AM.png

If your workflow currently has all global transitions, you would have to eliminate those. Otherwise even with a specific transition from Done to the statuses representing "reopened" would still be bypassed using the global transitions.

Dan Macarie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 15, 2024

Hey Trudy, 

Thanks a lot for your answer! 

It's a company managed project. 

I will give your solution a try and update here how it turned out.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events