Can't edit the reporter field on a project

Leo May 7, 2019

A lot of user from our space, can't edit the reporter filed on the ticket of an specific project, even though I and other users are in the administrators group, we can't edit the field.

3 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2019

Hello,

Did you check who has the permission to modify reporter on your project?

Selection_300.png

Also reporter field should be present on edit screen, too.

Regards.

Leo May 7, 2019

Yes, apparently no one can, it's really weird since I can do that in other projects but not even the one that created the project can, is like some kind of bug.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2019

But who has the project permission for modify reporter?  Can you check the permission shown for that project as @Elifcan Cakmak has shown?

Leo May 7, 2019

From what I was told just now, everyone that has administrator group could do it two weeks ago but now, no one can. You can see that in here Permissions.jpg

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2019

Hi,

Roles are groups are different things. In your project, project role administrators has the permission to modify reporter. You can see who are in this role on People tab on the left.

Also as I said earlier, reporter field should be on the edit screen of your project. Maybe someone removed it since then?

Regards.

Like # people like this
Leo May 8, 2019

Hi, I was trying to add the reporter field in the edit screen, but it's still not working

Leo May 8, 2019

Edit Screen - Reporter.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2019

Ok, it's on screen, so the next two questions are:

• Are you using that screen for issue edit?
  • Do you have the project rights to edit the reporter?  (Are you in one of the two roles in the project that have the right in your screenshot?)
Leo May 8, 2019

Yesterday, I tried to modify the reporter field when I added all the roles in the project, and it didn't work, but I changed the "Edit Screen" as well and even yesterday didn't work, today it worked, perfectly. Thank you for you help to both of you.

Jon Mills January 14, 2020

This helped me too - the edit screen didn't have 'reporter' field in it, even though it shows on the screen.  Adding it made it immediately possible to edit reporter after an F5.

Like # people like this
Jussi Sarén September 23, 2021

I faced the same issue and this was the solution. Reporter can be seen on the "screen" even if it's not assigned to the screen and therefore it can't be edited :)

However, for me, it doesn't make sense that the field is shown on the edit issue screen even if it is NOT assigned to the screen. Should it be like this? Well, it's another discussion and doesn't belong to this topic.

5 votes
Victor November 16, 2021

When in the said project, click on project settings and then on people. Check there if you are added as admins to the said project, if not, add yourself and whoever need to be admins in the project. That worked for me.

Fernando March 16, 2022

This is the best most straight forward answer. Thanks!

Like Josh Simnitt likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2022

Except that you probably don't want to make everyone a project admin!

Like Josh Simnitt likes this
Geetha June 28, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Is there a way to allow non-project admins to set the Reporter on an issue??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2022

As discussed in the conversation following the answer, look at the permission scheme.

Like Geetha likes this
Geetha June 28, 2022

If the user have modify reporter permission then he can edit the reporter even though he is not a project admin?? Is it possible 

Robert Mejlerö
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 7, 2024

Perfect solution

Henintsoa Rakotoarisaona
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 6, 2024

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. Does anyone have another solution, please? I can edit the reporter on initiatives but not on Epics. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2024

There is no other "fix" for it - you need to have the "edit reporter" permission in the project the issue is in, and the reporter field needs to be on the screen.

0 votes
Jack Daniel Morilla October 18, 2021

Thanks a lot! it helps me too...Cheers!

Suggest an answer