Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation rule performing second action before first is complete

Richard Spence April 20, 2023

Hello, we have a scheduled automation rule that is not working as expected.  I believed that the actions would complete before moving on to the next one but this doesn't appear to be the case.  

Our rule moves all cards from a list on one board to a list on another board at a specific time, and then archives the list. 

However we are experiencing that the list is being archived before all the cards have been moved.  We are having to implement a work around to split the rule up in to 2 rules that run 5 minutes apart.

Am I right in assuming that this is a bug and that the expected behaviour would be that the first action completes before the second is done?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2023

Hi Richard, I don't think Trello would consider this a bug but you are right that Butler doesn't execute commands sequentially.  I haven't every gotten to the bottom of its execution routine but I know it seems to group similar activities and execute them in bursts of 3.  

This can be very frustrating and has left me with some very irritating timing bugs in more advanced automations.  

In your instance have you tried this:

Screenshot 2023-04-20 150306.png

You can use an automation to generate the list of the same name on the starting board...

Richard Spence April 21, 2023

Thanks, it is weird as we have a similar rule running on another board and it hasn't behaved this way.  For now we will separate the actions in to 2 rules to run 5 minutes apart to make sure the first is complete before the second runs

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events