Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding labels to a card at creation using the # then the label name, #example, stopped working. Why?

Mark Weerda GMAIL June 8, 2023

I used this feature all the time, loved it. If I had a label called "Project" for example, I was able to type #project as I was typing the text of the new card, and the label would be added for me ... or at least suggested that I could press enter to add. 

This feature recently stopped working for me. 

I've not changed my plug-ins, power-ups or extensions. I'm using Chrome. 

I really miss this feature as a quick way of organizing my new cards. 

Any thoughts on why this stopped working?

2 answers

1 vote
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2023
0 votes
Luciana Munhoz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2023

Hi Mark! Welcome to Trello community! 

Sorry to hear about your recent experience with this feature! Apologies to be the bringer of bad news — the Trello product team has recently decided to remove the Card Composer Options feature (which allowed us to use # for labels and @ to add members). While this feature was certainly useful for some users, it also represented pretty significant technical complexity and maintenance effort that didn't match up with how much it was being used.

There are still a few ways to use shortcuts to add members and labels to cards that we recommend:

1. You can use the 1-0 keys or the L key to apply labels to a card while hovering over it in the board view, or while a card is open.
2. The M key will let you add members to a card, also while hovering in the board view, or while the card is open.

Another useful shortcut: When creating a new card, type the card title then press Shift+Enter to create it (instead of Enter by itself). It will create and open the card at the same time. This makes the L and M shortcuts a bit more accessible!

Last, it may be worth having a look at our Automation tool to see if any of your regular label or member workflows could potentially be done automatically: https://trello.com/guide/automate-anything

I understand that is not quite ideal, but maybe those options give you an alternative to speed up your workflow.

AZQA October 17, 2023

Boooooooo

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events