Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution: Create card with a label by using #

As you may know, the in-built feature to add a label by typing #labelname in the card title on creation has been removed:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Adding-labels-to-a-card-at-creation-using-the-then-the-label/qaq-p/2383826 

I am going to provide a simple way you can recreate this with automation:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (5).gif

Solution

when the name of a card contains "#{*}", add the "{wildcard1}" label to the card, and rename the card to "{textbeforematch}"

Screenshot 2023-06-12 141523.png

Note: This simplest form only works for 1 label

8 comments

Max June 12, 2023

Thx for taking your time and providing this information here ...

But, Atlassian, seriously?

This is not even close for a feature substitution ...

• I would have to type the label as-is, no autocomplete
  • support of label names with spaces ?
  • rule has to be created by each user

Where can I go to really complain about this feature removal?

Why in the world would they remove a feature so central that has been part of the product for ages?!?

The reduction in ease-of-use is tremendous!

Like # people like this
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2023

Just for the record, I am not working for Atlassian or affiliated in any way, I'm just trying to come up with a solution to help people circumvent this in a simple way... 

You could adapt it to handle labels with spaces and the rule doesn't have to be created by each user, I just did it in the simplest form possible to help the most number of people.

In terms of complaining, go to https://trello.com/contact and raise a request. The Trello support guys do an incredible job and they will come back with further information I'm sure.  Its unlikely to change anything but definitely worth a try

I am with you on this, I love Trello and I know that there are people and companies around the globe dependent on it. For me, it is my job, my livelihood and my passion.  I share your frustration.  It is one thing to slow down developing new features but to keep pulling features, often with little or no warning is not fair.  
I looked at Atlassian's values earlier...
Screenshot 2023-06-12 094126.png

Like # people like this
Max June 12, 2023

Appreciate your activity, even more so the follow-up reply!

I will for sure send them a message, being developer myself your last sentence was on my mind earlier too:

It is one thing to slow down developing new features but to keep pulling features, often with little or no warning is not fair. 

Emmy Giovanni June 12, 2023

Thank you for providing this. I've been super frustrated by the removal of this feature.

Unfortunately, it now appears that they've also removed the ability to specify the label name that you want to apply to cards -- the automations only allow you to pick from a list. So this workaround also will no longer do the trick. 

I had created pretty involved workflows around being able to match label names across boards on my team's workspace, so I'm a bit at a loss right now. 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2023

Thanks for sharing this @Dreamsuite Mike ! Have seen lots of folks asking about it. 

Rob Banning June 24, 2023

Thank you for the workaround, @Dreamsuite Mike 

Like others, I really miss the autocomplete feature and will send a request to the Trello team.  Like others, I am "super frustrated" by the removal of this feature.  It was a real time saver!!!

Again, thanks for the automation

Cynthia Gilbertson October 1, 2023

So is it true that this workaround no longer works? 

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2023

@Cynthia Gilbertson 

I can confirm that rumour to be completely untrue.  Who is the source of this vicious lie?? 😜😂

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events