Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When status page wont link to datadog using your valid keys, what can be done?

Chris Connell October 20, 2021

Our Datadog account is active.

A specific set of API and Application keys were created to use with statuspage. They are valid, and not in use anywhere else. They have not been revoked by another user.

Following statuspage's documentation, which simply tells you to copy paste keys and click link, nets me the following result...

Error
Remote validation of your credentials failed. Check your input and try again.
I am not sure what to do at this stage to troubleshoot the issue, but statuspage is not accepting the Datadog keys.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2021

Hello Chris,

This is Jesse from the Statuspage support team. Thanks for the question about the error you are getting with DataDog.

I haven't specifically run across this error message but I can suggest a few things to try regarding this:

1. Double check that the application key and the API key are in the right place. I have seen a few times where these were reversed in some way.

2. Check which Metric Base URI you are in. This is the list that DataDog has: https://docs.datadoghq.com/getting_started/site/

3. Remove the previous keys and then try this with another set of keys.

4. If you still have issues after checking these things, I recommend opening a support ticket so we can further investigate.

Hopefully one of those options helps out. I hope you have a great day!

Regards,
Jesse

Chris Connell October 25, 2021

After speaking with datadog support we determined that the cause was likely a hosting location issue.

Statuspage only provides us two selections, both of which are within the us subdomain. We are hosted in the us3 subdomain. This is likely the root cause which might be related to the state of our statuspage subscription plan (i.e.: free because we haven't enabled it yet).

Currently, there aren't any steps I can personally take to resolve the issue but knowing why is at least a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the assistance!

Chris

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this

Hey Jesse,

Can you confirm if certain metric base URIs are available only at the paid plan levels? I have to assume this is the case since we're only offered two to choose from, but I'd rather not assume like in my earlier reply.

metric_base_uris.png

Thanks!

Chris

Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2021

Hello Chris,

That is great that you figured out it was related to the base URI. Unfortunately, we currently only contain the ones that you see. I had actually put in a request to engineering about a week ago to add the other ones. While I don't have a timeline for this, they do appear to have this planned to add the others. It might take some time for them to be added but it is something to look forward to. My apologies for the inconvenience on this.

Regards,
Jesse

Like # people like this

Hi Jesse,

I appreciate the assistance as I was struggling to find the available base URI list online. It's not a huge problem for us at the moment but it is a bummer haha. Definitely something to look forward to!

I reached out to Datadog's support the other day so its on their radar as well.

Thanks again for the help,

Chris

Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2021

Sounds good Chris,

I made sure to add this community post to the request for engineering so that they see how many people this is affecting. Hopefully we will have this all added soon! I hope you have a fantastic week ahead!

Regards,
Jesse

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
plemke December 16, 2021

@Jesse Klein We are having issues right now also... we are on https://app.datadoghq.com/ and can't get the api keys we generate to work. Keeps saying "validation failed" on the statuspage site. I can use those API keys just fine in a test client hitting their api. We've been trialing statuspage out but this is killing us! 

Alberto Sheinfeld February 17, 2022

@Jesse Klein We are having the exact same issue described here.  Tried all the URLs and the key's in both directions.  Please help

Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
February 17, 2022

Hello @plemke and @Alberto Sheinfeld 

Thanks for letting me know about some of the issues that you're running into. I went through this whole setup with Datadog on a test account and after some struggling, we finally got it working.

It appears that with some UI changes, the help docs we have are a little outdated. It appears you need to go to the following and get these keys to link your account:

API Key: app.datadoghq.com/organization-settings/api-keys

Application Key: app.datadoghq.com/organization-settings/application-keys

What's important is grabbing the keys from each of these pages and not using the Key-IDs that are there. That was my mistake. After going to each page and grabbing the key from that page, I was able to get the linking to work.

I will be working with our content designer to see about updating our help docs. Thanks for reaching out! Let me know if you see any other issues come up.

Regards,
Jesse

Like # people like this
Gustaf Lundh March 27, 2023

Thank you, Jesse! Please update your documentation to be clearer on this one.

Like Jefferson Faseler likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events