answers - how to vote down on comments?

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2011

I like the whole idea of voting down on question, especially when the question could have resolve via google.com or just by searching it in here. But sometimes, the trivial comments are just as annoying when someone would put bogus comment or keep bugging someone via comments. Can we, as a good web citizen in Answers, vote down on comment? It's almost like having 'like' button in facebook but no dislike.

5 answers

0 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2011

@Edwin Chan - yikes, I just saw how easy it is to delete a comment by mistake. I just added a JIRA issue for it: Add popup confirmation window on comment deletion.

0 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2011

I'm interested in where this discussion goes. I suppose I should have an opinion on it, but I think I'd rather just hear from most users here what they want - some people don't like down-voting - and I can help bring it to a decision if there becomes a big enough majority opinion. I'm happy to implement a new feature for down-voting comments if there's enough momentum. We recently just made a few similar changes:

1. Editing your own post should not increase karma
  2. up-vote on comments should increase karma

You can open a feature request in JIRA, by the way, in our Answers project.

0 votes
Edwin Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2011

Uh oh, anyway to restore?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2011

No, it was deleted from the whole site. Stackoverflow doesn't have a -ve for comments either... I think the point is to try to discourage long conversations and focus on actual answers.

0 votes
Edwin Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2011

Hm...I just see a vote button (thumbs up) and a delete button ('x'). I clicked 'x' on a random comment (that was not mine) and it actually deleted it. I hope it's deleted from my view only and not from the whole site.

Suggest an answer