Logging work for other team members

Paweł K. November 8, 2012

As a manager I need to add worklogs on behalf of some of my team members. How can I do it in JIRA?

Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2012

Once Time Tracking is enabled then you'll need to tweak specific permissions in the relevent permissions scheme.

Work On Issues
Ability to log work done against an issue. Only useful if Time Tracking is turned on.

Edit Own Worklogs
Ability to edit own worklogs made on issues.

Edit All Worklogs <====== This is the one that you want.
Ability to edit all worklogs made on issues.

Delete Own Worklogs
Ability to delete own worklogs made on issues.

Delete All Worklogs
Ability to delete all worklogs made on issues.

When you have assigned yourself this permission then any edits that you then perform will still show up as having been done by the person who originally logged the work.

More Advanced:

You can log work for other people using the Minyaa Time plugin. See here for the specific listing of this functionality (scroll to the bottom).

The Tempo plugin also seems to offer similar functionality. The documentation states:

"Tempo admin can edit 'Worked Hours' if the feature is enabled in 'Tempo Global Configuration'"

Paweł K. November 19, 2012

Thank you for your help. I'm looking more for something within JIRA itself or for a free plugin.

Looks like there's no such one.

Thanks.

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2012

I overlooked the basics when giving my original answer so I have now edited it in order to explain how to do what you want without installing a single plugin. Hopefully, you'll now be sorted out... and able to click "accept" for the answer.

Thanks again. You are however referring to editing others' worklogs, not adding them. I know that adding of others' worklogs is possible with Minyaa and Tempo Plugin, but it seems to be no such feature in the JIRA itself.

Best regards.

0 votes
Johny rao November 9, 2012

You need to have Time tracking permission for the project.You can use the time tracking option to log the number of hours.

Tx,

anshul

Thank you, but the time tracking permission is already there. I know that I can log work, but I'd like to be able to do it not for myself, but for other team members (eg. as a team leader or project manager). Thanks.

Suggest an answer