Latest SourceTree on Mac can't get past Account window

cmulcahy February 18, 2016

I updated SourceTree on my Mac.  Now I cannot get past the initial setup screen tying it to my Atlassian account.  I hit the "Use an existing account" button and get a tall, narrow and very blank window.  If I hit the "Go to My Atlassian" button, it prompts me to create a new account.  Hitting the "Use existing account" link gives me a 404 error. 

How do I get past this or go back to the previous version of SourceTree?

16 answers

4 votes
chadesbois February 23, 2016

I have the exact same problem, does anybody know how to fix this?

Ashley Carrigan November 6, 2017

Uninstalled Source Tree and installed a previous build. Made it past the blank window.

Previous builds here:

https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download-archives

2 votes
fmborghino June 14, 2019

Another recommendation for https://forkapp.io/ "Fork". It is amazing and free and the project is active and healthy.

2 votes
cnzzr February 26, 2016

touch file name as accounts.json

full path: C:\Users\cnzzr\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\account.json

contain content

[
  {
    "$id": "1",
    "$type": "SourceTree.Api.Host.Identity.Model.IdentityAccount, SourceTree.Api.Host.Identity",
    "Authenticate": true,
    "HostInstance": {
      "$id": "2",
      "$type": "SourceTree.Host.Atlassianaccount.AtlassianAccountInstance, SourceTree.Host.AtlassianAccount",
      "Host": {
        "$id": "3",
        "$type": "SourceTree.Host.Atlassianaccount.AtlassianAccountHost, SourceTree.Host.AtlassianAccount",
        "Id": "atlassian account"
      },
      "BaseUrl": "https://id.atlassian.com/"
    },
    "Credentials": {
      "$id": "4",
      "$type": "SourceTree.Model.BasicAuthCredentials, SourceTree.Api.Account",
      "Username": "zheng8498@gmail.com"
    },
    "IsDefault": false
  }
]
1 vote
BrianH May 21, 2018

What a shitshow.

1 vote
rlb August 10, 2016

Same issue, SourceTree 2.24 on Mac OS X 10.11.5
Select [Use an existing account] and get the empty long narrow window that shows a spinner and never shows anything else. 

Network connection likely blocked by my IT dept.

I can go to my.Altassian.com and download my license file.

HOW DO I GET PAST THE STUPID SETUP ASSISTANT and manually point sourcetree to my sourcetree license file that I downloaded from my.atlassian.com?

1 vote
Venkat Natarajan February 24, 2016

I've the same issue with the Windows version 1.8.2.2.

1 vote
Davion Liu February 23, 2016

same here with 2.2.2

0 votes
stevenmchoi September 30, 2019

I use Brave Browser. I removed all shields for Atlassian and BitBucket to allow third-party / cross-site cookies and devices, and it worked for me.

0 votes
Hua Soon SIM _Akeles_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 18, 2019

I submitted a feature request at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-11444

0 votes
Perica_Susic October 6, 2018

Similar issue here. On my Sourcetree I managed to pass the login-screen but after the (successful) login nothing happens by clicking on the continue-button.

On windows I do not use Source-Tree. I use Smart Git. A very good git-client with a high grade of usability.

On Mac there seems no other alternative but Sourcetree. Sad but true. Is there any other company out there reading this? There is potential to a Sourcetree alternative. I sure would buy it. Syntevo, why don't you develop Smart Git for Mac?

Sourcetree is real crap! Ever was. Full of bugs and crappy usability. And I don't think this will ever change.

Tony Ko November 2, 2018

There are a lot of alternatives on mac. Git Tower. Git Fork (yes that is the name). Git Kraken. 

Google is your friend :)

caxix June 14, 2019

Be thankful to encounter this kind of issue right from the get-go rather than later when fully committed to this app. If they can't get the simple stuff working, .... Tower is ridiculously expensive, but a good alternative.

0 votes
Oleksandr Ishchenko March 27, 2018

Same to me. Version 2.1 works correct. Try it

0 votes
Chris Shorter August 15, 2017

This really shouldn't be ignored by the software developers. I just had the same issue where the login screen was blank during installation. After about 5 mins it gave me the login screen with just the email address, filling that out and clicking next just caused it to hang again. It's obviously running some embedded browser and very poorly - on Windows it's obviously IE, as it gives you Explorer auto complete prompts etc which are completely unsuitable for a software login anyway...

0 votes
Bernd Konnerth August 14, 2017

Sorry Atlassian to say that, but this registration dialog is real crap! I just had the same issue while trying to install Sourcetree on Mac. If I'm typing in my email address and press "Next" nothing happens (password field is not displayed). If I try to register via Google, I can't type anything in the field where the Gmail address is requested.

SOLUTION: Or maybe better "workaround": I was able to get the email (non-Google) variant running as follows:

1) Type in your mailaccount and press "Next" or <ENTER>

2) In the menu bar of Sorucetree (which is already available at that time), klick "SourceTree"=>"Settings". In the background the Settings window will appear.

3) Now when going back to the registration dialog you should see the password field!

gm January 26, 2018

I had the same issue, and your workaround saved me. Thanks!

I do not understand why they do not fix this (we are now in Jan 2018!): being the very first step in using a package, it's easy that people give up and go looking for a different one.

0 votes
jbhaywood May 9, 2017

Same problem on latest Windows version. I stopped using SourceTree a while ago because of some random crash that started happening. So I thought I'd give it another try now but can't even get it installed. Guess I'll wait another year or so and try again...

EDIT: So, after typing this and then going back to the installer (which I left running to come here), the blank panel was filled and I could log in after all. Maybe it's just a really laggy connection? YMMV

0 votes
asmaloney January 10, 2017

Against my better judgement I tried to update to 2.3.x and ran into this.  What a horrible user experience.

I'm going back to 1.9.8.

0 votes
Davion Liu February 26, 2016

I tried this and solved mine:

Open Safari and check if you can open my.atlassian.com. If Safari complains it cannot create a secure connection, which is my case, goto key chain, find atlassian's cert, and check 'always trust', then try my.atlassian.com on safari again, if you can open it, then you are good to login source tree 2.2.2

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events