Issue level secuirty and reporting

If using issue level security in jira. How does that affect users data view on dashboards

How doesa it affect JIRA  reports.

Example I have a query for issues created in the last 30  days which  is displayed as a chart on a dashboard.   Say there are 30  items  returned  but 5 are highly  sesitive and have issue level security applied.

As Admin I will  see all  thirty , as a regular user , with their dashbaord 

1) Only show 25 results

2) Show 30 in the chart but only allow view of the 25 the user has access to 

For a sprint report , with the same scenario what would a regular user see?

2 answers

0 vote

If a user cannot see an issue, then they get no information about it.  They can work out that it is or was there, as they will see a "hole" in the issue numbers, but nothing else.  They won't know if the 5 issues are secured or deleted, and the system will behave as though they've been deleted for that user.

So, it is excluded from reports completely.  Your reports will tell the unpriviliged user that there are 25 issues.  The numbers in the sprint report that that user runs will calculate everything off the 25 issues they can see.

Thanks Nic, 

So 2 people could be at the same status meeting with different stats on the same report?

I guess it makes sense but it does seem odd

Yes.  It's one of the things you have to educate your users about if you do decide to use issue security.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: What's your favourite beer/drink

As a Belgian, beer-lover and home brewer, beer is one of my great passions. I love the fact that with just a few ingredients (usually just water, hop and malt) you can create so many different tastes...

288 views 38 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot