How to undelete a user in Jira

Jiri Kan December 19, 2012

Hi,

Can you advise how to undelete a user in Jira? User was accidentaly deleted from confluance.

Thanks

jk

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2012

You can't undelete a user, just re-add them as they were before.

Can I reassign the tickets the user created to the new user? Or are you saying that if I create the user with the same email address/username, the system will automaticaly reassign everything back?

BTW, it would be nice to have some Trash option. :-)

Thanks

jk

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2012

Jira won't let you delete a user who has assigned or reported issues, so they couldn't have been on any issues.

If you put them back with the same username, then they'll get back everything they had before, EXCEPT their groups and roles. (Jira only uses the email address to send mail to, it's not important as far as the rest of the system is concerned)

Like James Lawton likes this

That works :-). That is actually almost the same as undelete.

Thanks!

Shine Shao June 2, 2019

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , so how can I get a list of all the deleted users?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2019

You can't, you deleted them. 

The admin audit log will tell you that a user was deleted, but you can't get information about the user - you deleted them, so it's all gone

0 votes
mary_mendoza June 4, 2019

Hi, i need support in being able to add a user again, since it was removed, due to human error when deleting the user  the issues assigned to this user were deleted. How can you recover the issues? I remain attentive to your comments

Shine Shao June 5, 2019

Invite it back with the same email, all the histories will be back, as long as you know the email address.

mary_mendoza June 5, 2019

Shine, when deleting a user the tool automatically assigns each issue the previous responsible. This way when disabling or deleting a user does not eliminate the issues of jira.

Regards

0 votes
Gershon Chapman April 3, 2019

Is this still the case where I'd have to recreate the account as it was? I'm in this exact situation right now where I'd like to recover a bunch of deleted accounts.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2019

Yes, as you deleted a user, Jira can't know what was there before.  You will need to create new accounts to get the users back

Suggest an answer