How can I update existing pages that were created using and existing template?

Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2013

Hello,

We've got a ton of pages that were created using a template (let's call this Project Template) that were in turn created from a Python script. We've updated the template the script uses and now want to apply this to the other Project Templates we already have.

We can ID the ones we want to update, but how can we apply the updated template to the existing Project Templates? Obviouly we don't want to lose the content, which is individual to each project.

I hope this is clear, if not, let me know. Cheers.

1 answer

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2013

It depends on how easily you can distinguish the text to be changed from other text on the page. See How to automate adding text to Confluence pages

Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2013

Bob,

Thanks, It's not the info, it's the template itself. I don't think it matters that we used a python script to create the initial set of docs.

We can ID them all very easily. Applying the new template seems to be another matter. :)

Cheers.

Like Dave DeAngelis likes this
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2013

I should have explained a bit more. Once a page is created from a template, it is just a page like any other. You can modify the page contents using the techniques in the link by figuring out appropriate regex search and replace to try to get the page more like the changed template.

If you want more permanent templates that can be updated, you need to use something like the Scaffolding Plugin.

Like Nikhil Gupta likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events