Does anyone use jira core or jira software to track software installs

We do a lot of software rollouts like Autodesk and Microsoft product's. We also do a lot of computer updates I would like to track. We have three service desk instances. 1. For help desk, 2. For asset tracking, 3. Employee tracking. We ant to use Jira Core to track the roll out of those items. I am curious if there are 200 computers to track, what is the easiest way to create all those issues. A task with 200 subtasks. Or 200 tasks. Anyone have examples of how they would use this product for this purpose?

2 answers

0 votes
Sam Hall Community Champion Apr 25, 2017

There's an Atlassian blog about using JIRA for asset management which might be of interest to you: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/archives/jira-asset-management-overview

Sam Hall Community Champion Apr 25, 2017

I mention it because it shows tracking of computers using issues, and linking service request/issues to them to track events.

But, re-reading you question, I think this idea is probably not new to you! So, sorry about that.

I think what you are asking is what is the best way to track a   software install task that applies to 200 computers, where each computer is already tracked by an 'asset' issue in JIRA. Is that right?

I am familiar with linked issues, but i dont want to link 200 computers.

I have considered using the inventory service desk and assigning sub tasks to each asset (issue), but also a lot of work.

I have wondered if you can create tasks from the search function and assign them to a project.

Thanks.

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Apr 25, 2017

It sounds to be like you want to be able to manage these in bulk. You should be able to use the Import from CSV ability to create issues en masse. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Featured Groups

Tuesday tips & tricks: What is the Atlassian Community?

It's officially Tuesday, which means it's officially time for another tip to help you better navigate this space we call the Atlassian Community. 😄 I got a great question from community member, Sa...

141 views 6 8
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you